Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"23 Things" Reflection

In the beginning of the "23 Things" program, we were prompted to think about what it means to be a lifelong learner and how we feel about the concept of lifelong learning. Now that I've come to the end of my 23 Things journey, I've discovered a wealth of information, services, applications, and resources that I never knew existed. I am certain that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

We must be lifelong learners - there's so much out there for us to discover...more than could ever be discovered in a lifetime. Every moment we use to gain knowledge, every experience we obtain, gives us the opportunity to become better and more well-rounded people.

There were times when I was frustrated in completing the "23 Things" program. Time is limited, and some of the programs just didn't seem to fit into my lifestyle or my vocation. This happens in life - not everything we do, not everything we encounter, is going to serve us in the way we'd like it to. There were other times, however, when I was glad that I was completing the program because it pushed me to work outside of what I know to get a flavor of "things" I had never before tasted. I like that!

I'd have to say my two favorite and most useful "things" would be Zoho Writer and YouTube. These applications were fun for me to discover and useful for me to implement in the classroom. Zoho Writer allows me to create and share documents with the parents of my students in a more effective way; YouTube keeps me informed of what my kids expose themselves to when they aren't with me. I also believe that these tools could be quite useful for the library in informing and staying informed of the public's interests.

Would I complete a program like this again? Maybe. Would I consider it? Definitely. Why? Well, though it came with its frustrations, it also expanded my arsenal of tricks and opened me up to searching more on my own to discover what's out there rather than settling with the tools I already have that are quickly becoming more outdated and, therefore, less useful.

Ironic as it may seem, to be a teacher is to be a lifelong learner. And I am a teacher.

1 comment:

Gail Griffith said...

Congratulations on finishing the program! I'm glad you found so many things that might be useful to you, both in school and here at CCPL.